You can unlock keys to the Dark Castle by completing any elemental castle - you get a key each time you clear the last boss in Level 40, and additionally there’s a 1-time reward of a key (in addition to 1 random epic item and 150 gems) for the first time you clear each elemental castle.
To play a Dark Castle run, you need to select a team of 3 heroes, and it goes on until all 3 heroes die. Unlike a regular castle where you play floor by floor (and can take a break, change load outs etc before starting the next floor) in this case you keep going until it ends, so it is similar to endless runs.
Rewards for playing Dark Castle
- The loot in Dark Castle is similar to castles, however the drop rates are lower. Shards for any regular hero can drop
- The main rewards are in the leaderboard, which runs for 4 weeks (same as the BP season). For example, the winner gets 100k coins, 8-10 Summon Keys, 8-10 Gold Keys, and 1-3 Epic items.
Dark Castle Features
- Any Hidden Treasures found in castles can be found in the Dark Castle, including the one in the Magic Castle last boss. There used to be a starting room that had a Hidden Treasure as well, but that seems to have been removed recently
- There are special Dark Castle bosses in certain rooms - 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 and 1500. The one at 200, 300, 400, 800, 1100, 1300, 1500 drops Evil Clone skin parts.
- Rooms ending in 4 and 9 are Dark Castle layouts. Other rooms (including boss rooms excluding the above special rooms) are regular castle layouts
Some tips to get the best out of your keys:
- If you are buying the BP or SBP, wait till you unlock the Attack and Attack Speed bonuses before you play
- If you are close to fusing/levelling up your equipment or heroes, do that first
- Dark Castle leaderboards are first-come-first-served and are not tiered like most event leaderboards. So joining close to the end of the season might get you an easy leaderboard and better rewards. But be aware that many players employ this strategy.
- Loadout recommendations:
4.1. Weapon: For very high level players, I’d recommend Auto Handgun over the Looper, but generally you would likely use your most powerful weapon
4.2. Armour: Emergency Shell if you have it, else the NecroShield Suit. If your stats are low you might be better off with the Ninja garb. Note that unlike regular endless runs, it is not 1-hit-death after Room 100
4.3. Gear: If you have premium gear, use Camo Cloak on the left and Plaster/Shield Generator on the right. If using regular gear, use whatever you regularly use